William P. “Bill” Griffin
I have been a full time professor at Evangel University since 1995. The main classes I teach concern Hebrew, Biblical interpretation, and the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament). I have a particular interest in the Minor Prophets and the Psalms.
My first experience teaching Biblical Hebrew was as a graduate student at Emory University. Since then I have taught elementary, intermediate, and advanced Biblical Hebrew many times at Evangel University. I also regularly lead a Hebrew reading group which has been attended by people from Evangel University, the Assemblies of God Theological Seminary, and Missouri State University.
- Ph.D., Emory University (Old Testament) 1995
Dissertation: The Image of God in Joel and Other Selected Prophecies, published as The God of the Prophets: An Analysis of Divine Action (Sheffield, England: Sheffield Academic Press, 1997).
- M.Div., Harvard University (OT emphasis) 1988
Masters Thesis: Shall a Human Rob God? A Study on the Purpose of the Tithe.
- B.A., Evangel University (Biblical Studies) 1985
Major: Biblical Studies; Concentration: Biblical Languages
- Regular presentations at the Central States Society of Biblical Literature meeting, Hebrew Bible section.
- Greater Springfield Professors of Bible, Hebrew Bible section. Frequent presenter and site organizer when the meeting has been at Evangel University.
- Sunday School teacher, Evangel Temple, Springfield, MO.
My wife (Terry) and I have been married since 1978, and we have three sons. My wife and I are avid bicyclists, riding thousands of miles every year. We both are into photography (nature, basketball, countryside). I also enjoy writing humorous and satirical songs about many subjects.